Richard R. Flores, Director GEB 1.308, Austin, TX 78712 • (512) 232-2789
Certification ProcessStudents begin the certification process during their Student Teaching semester (UTL 360 & UTL 670).
To be eligible to apply for certification, students must:
- Successfully complete all coursework for the UTeach-Liberal Arts program and the degree program;
- Successfully complete the appropriate certification exams (i.e., TExES, TOPT);
- Submit a complete application and fees to the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC).
Exam Registration and Application Process:
- Students are required to create an account with the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) via the SBEC website prior to registering for certification exams and applying for certification. Upon creating an account students receive a TEA identification number. A TEA ID is required for both exam registration and certification application.
- Certification exam dates and registration are available on the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website. Students use their TEA ID to create a personal account with ETS and register for the appropriate exams.
- After passing the exams and receiving the test results, students formally apply for certification online via the SBEC website.* Instructions for fingerprinting and submitting fees are included in the online application.
A student will become officially certified when alll of the following have been fulfilled:
- He/she successfully applies for certification via the SBEC website;
- He/she officially graduates and the degree is conferred;
- UTeach-Liberal Arts verifies coursework for successful completion;
- The College of Education has officially notified TEA of program completion.
Additional information about certification procedures, including adding new levels or fields of certification by exam after receiving initial certification, is available in the College of Education Dean’s Office (SZB 216) or on the College of Education Certification page.